Two Former Social Workers And Supervisors Charged With Child Abuse Ordered To Stand Trial

death sentence

Two former social workers and their supervisors were ordered today to stand trial on falsifying records and child abuse charges involving the death of an 8-year-old Palmdale boy whose mother and then-boyfriend are charged with his murder.

The social workers and two of their supervisors — Stefanie Rodriguez,
31, Patricia Clement, 66, Kevin Bom, 37, and Gregory Merritt, 61 — were fired
from their jobs following an internal investigation into the May 24, 2013,
death of Gabriel Fernandez.

All four are charged with one felony count each of child abuse and
falsifying records and face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

The boy’s mother, Pearl Fernandez, 33, and her then-boyfriend, Isauro
Aguirre, 36, are awaiting trial on a murder charge stemming from her son’s
death. The District Attorney’s Office plans to seek the death penalty against
the two.

After hearing brief closing statements by four of the five defense
attorneys, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge M.L. Villar found that the social
workers and their superiors had a duty to protect the boy and had plenty of
reason to suspect that the youngster might be seriously injured or killed.

“Red flags were everywhere, yet no referrals were ever made for a
medical exam,” Villar said, citing reports of injuries by Gabriel’s teacher,
who took photos, and a welfare office worker.

“The abuse was clearly escalating. Reckless and criminal negligence is
found here,” the judge ruled.

Gabriel’s death prompted a firestorm of criticism of the Los Angeles
County Department of Children and Family Services over reports that social
workers repeatedly visited the family’s home in response to allegations of
abuse, but the boy was left in the custody of his mother.

One of Merritt’s two attorneys, James Barnes, told reporters outside the
courtroom that Villar’s ruling was “totally incorrect legally,” contending
the legal duty that the social workers had was not to the child, but to control
the mother’s behavior.

There was simply not enough evidence for the Department of Children and
Family Services to take the child away from his mother, the defense attorney

He said the escalating violence cited by the judge occurred months after
Merritt had already closed the case file on Gabriel. The only complaint his
client was aware of was bruising on the boy’s bottom, and parents are allowed
by law to use corporal punishment, Barnes said.

“My client and the others are being scapegoated,” he said, calling the
case an excuse for DCFS’s lack of sufficient staffing to handle child abuse

Villar acknowledged that it “was a difficult case for everyone
involved” and noted the heavy caseloads of county social workers, but said
there were earlier signs.

“From the beginning, there was more than ample evidence from the mother
that something was amiss,” the judge said, citing her heavy use of pain
medication, the fact that the child had lived with his maternal grandmother
virtually since birth and the mother’s own allegations that her young son was a
liar and a thief.

“She singled him out” because she never bonded with her son, the judge

Palmdale elementary school teacher Jennifer Garcia testified during the
preliminary hearing that she called Rodriguez multiple times to report that
Gabriel said his mother punched him and shot him in the face with a BB gun. Her
first call came more than six months before Gabriel was killed.

An autopsy showed the tot had a fractured skull, several broken ribs and
burns over his body, according to authorities.

Villar said records were incomplete and inadequate, parties weren’t
talking to one another, incidents went undocumented and some people who are
mandated to report abuse failed to do so.

Defense attorneys argued that others were culpable in the boy’s death
and were better positioned to have saved the boy.

“Gabriel was certainly not left on an island by himself” when the case
was transferred to another DCFS unit, argued Merritt’s other attorney, Joseph
Gutierrez. He said one therapist failed to report serious injuries because her
supervisor told her not to.

The case was transferred to the Family Preservation Unit to “put more
eyes” on Gabriel, said Rodriguez’s attorney, Lance Filer. “`(Rodriguez) was
the only one … to substantiate any of the claims … she did exactly what she
was supposed to do and had been trained to do.”

Gabriel was seeing a counselor twice a week and a sheriff’s deputy
stopped by at one point to check on the boy and found no evidence of abuse,
according to the defense.

“This was unanticipated, not foreseeable,” Gutierrez argued before the
judge’s ruling, adding that it’s “contrary to human nature, to human
reason” that a mother could kill her child.

“I don’t think there’s anyone who feels worse than these four social
workers,” Gutierrez said.

But Deputy District Attorney Ana Maria Lopez accused the defendants of
making “a deliberate choice to circumvent the system,” taking shortcuts and
violating procedures.

Prosecutors allege that Rodriguez and Clement falsified reports that
should have documented signs of escalating physical abuse and the family’s
lapsed cooperation with DCFS.

Prosecutors also contend that Bom and Merritt knew or should have known
they were approving false reports that conflicted with evidence of Gabriel’s
deteriorating physical health, allowing the boy to remain in the home until he

An investigation revealed that at times over an eight-month period
preceding his death, Gabriel — among other instances of violent abuse — was
doused with pepper spray, forced to eat his own vomit and locked in a closet
with a sock stuffed in his mouth to muffle his screams, authorities have said.

“It was their responsibility to protect Gabriel,” Lopez said, “to
remove this child and put him in a safe place. That’s where they failed.”

The prosecutor accused the social workers of “professional arrogance”
and questioned whether they were “covering up their own misbehavior” in
failing to reconsider their earlier decisions when the violence began to

Gabriel’s cousin Emily and other family members applauded the judge’s
decision in an interview outside the courtroom.

“They deserve it,” the cousin said of the four defendants. “I would
have removed the child, especially with Pearl’s history … they didn’t follow
up, they didn’t push her.”

The defendants are set to be arraigned April 3.

City News Service.
Photo by: Alex Staroseltsev